View Single Post
Old
01-18-2014, 04:03 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Why do you still watch/support the Oilers?

First let me start off by saying this isn't a derogatory thread, I'm merely curious what keeps you coming back for more pain and misery.

I hopped on the bandwagon shortly before the 2006 playoffs because my dad was telling me about the team and I got curious. I had watched some hockey but wasn't really that into it (I remember watching the '94 finals and attending the odd Flames game). We all know what happened that spring and the season after it. 2008 re-instilled some hope and 2009 we were close before we caved at the end of the season.

2010/11/12 I figured was necessary because we couldn't sign free agents and any trades usually resulted in us taking it in the rear. Last season we saw some improvement before the Oilers remembered who they were and subsequently crumbled in the final weeks of the season.

Before this year started I was excited about the prospect of new players and coaches (...er, coach) being brought it from other organizations. I had thought maybe if things fell into place that we'd challenge for a playoff spot.

....But not this. Not this.

This year is even worse than the 2010 year that was hard (but necessary) for a lot of us. It can't be this bad. It shouldn't be this bad. But it is.

My dad who has supported the Oilers from their start in the WHA has considered switching to another team and I find it hard not to do the same. The players aren't as good as we think they are, the coaching staff doesn't have a clue, and management continues to watch over with their **** eating grins at the prospect of getting another #1 pick (who will likely fail).

I had a lot of hope going into this year, but now it's all gone and as the losses pile up I find myself trying to do other things than watching Oiler games. Hell I went to go watch my little cousin play basketball instead of sticking around for this crapfest, because anyone and everyone knew we'd find a way to blow it.

Even if they clean house from top to bottom, I don't think that's going to fix it. There's a rancid stink around this organization that no amount of cleaning will fix. This team from Kevin Lowe down to Corey Potter is content with losing, and nothing is going to change that.

Edit: I don't know why it says waived. Somebody fix that please.

Last edited by GreatKeith: 01-18-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: WTF...
GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote