Why do you still watch/support the Oilers?
View Single Post
01-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Great idea for a thread.
This has by far been the most difficult season of hockey watching in my life (and I thought the Steve Smith own-goal was tough!).
Anyway, here are the answers why I watch:
- I'm a huge sports fan
- Out of all sports, I like hockey the most (followed by baseball)
- As far as hockey watching options go, the NHL is the easiest to watch on TV
- Out of all the teams in the NHL, I follow the Oilers the most closely
- The Oilers are my team because I grew up watching hockey during the most glorious era in hockey history. The Oiler teams of the early 80s were simply amazing (and the teams of the 90s had pluck)
- For the last few seasons, I expected the Oilers to suck but continued watching to see the kids play and develop
- This season I have watched almost every game (missed about 4 games)
- My interest is definitely waning but since playoffs are not an option, I do focus on the sub-plots (progression of the kids, new additions to the team, rivalries, matchups against really good teams, etc.)
- But really, the biggest reason I watch now is force of habit. I've been doing it so long, I don't know what else to do (although I've started working out sometimes when I watch, so it's not a complete waste of time and I can let off steam)
- I do think anticipation of the World Juniors and the Olympics has also made this season a tad more tolerable
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Pennertration