View Single Post
Old
01-20-2014, 02:10 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
You don't waste a high draft pick to help Hartford. There are plenty of goalies like Dov who would do a competent job in the AHL and can be signed to a slightly above middle class salary.

They may take a stab at someone like Stajcer in the late rounds, but they aren't wasting early picks to help Hartford.

I fully expect Lundqvist to play here another 7 seasons because top goalies go to the age 38 without a problem. Patrick Roy played 63 games with 2.18 GAA and .920%. Brodeur played 56 games 2.45 and .903%. Hasek in his early 40s was still getting very close to 2.00 GAA and a great save percentage.

Behind him we still have Talbot. I expect him to be ok being a backup for the next couple of years, then we'll see.
I'm not saying draft to help Hartford in the short term. The fact that the Rangers need to go out and scrape the bottom of the barrel speaks volumes about the lack of depth in the system. Lundqvist should play the next 8 years and do well without problem, but what if he gets hurt?

LA has Quick and drafted Martin Jones at the time they had Quick and Bernier. Montreal drafted Fucale even though they have Price. Ottawa traded Bishop because they have depth in Andersen and Lehner. It doesn't hurt to have goaltending depth, and to draft and develop goaltending talent in case of something catastrophic like Lundqvist blowing out a knee or having his hips go bad, isn't a bad idea.