View Single Post
Old
01-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I dont disagree with you regarding the responsibility of the GM to fill in the holes.

But to fill in the majority of the roster via trades or FA?

Take out Carey Price and the years 2003-2006 were disaster drafts. 2007 was a home-run. 2008 and 2009 were not even close to being mediocre drafts. 2010 forward is still too early to grade.

Those 6-7 years with not much to show for it has hamstrung this franchise. And the effects will continue for years because there is not much in the minors right now.

But he did have one really solid year (2007) and Carey Price was a great pick in a year where the rest of the picks were sub-par.
I guess our definition of disaster is different. 2006 was a total failure, I'll give you that. But I think the bigger problem here is how bad we managed our assets when it comes to certain guys from those drafts. Some of them left us no choice but to get close to no value in return by either having attitude problems or asking for a trade. Names like Lapierre, Grabovsky (albeit it was a good move at the time) and Sergei Kostitsyn come to mind. We traded Latendresse who went on to have a good stretch with Minnesota for Pouliot and then we decided to not re-sign BP and lost him for nothing. Same thing for Tom Pyatt. Add in to that the numerous 2nd rounders we wasted on guys that turned out to be rentals when we could have re-signed them (Moore, Tanguay, Wizniewski ((although that one was understandable and to give credit to Gauthier, he traded his rights)).

Those are a lot of moves that made us take a couple of step backs instead of helping us move forward.

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote