Thread: Referees: Big Kid Penalties
View Single Post
Old
01-21-2014, 01:00 AM
TacksMann

vCash: 500
Thanks for the response. Probably 2(B) should have been worded better. "hard and physical" was meant along the lines of "hockey requires working hard, is physically demanding, and will have some contact". My kid is a girl playing mixed hockey with "Big Kid" on her team, and big kids on other teams. I assure you I am not looking for grinder house-hockey.

What I am looking for is the tips to give him to not take avoidable and costly penalties which have cost us at least two games. Often these situations go unnoticed or at least unpenalized, but this is not the case when Big Kid is standing over a fallen player.

Head Contact - I think what you are clearly saying is that there is no such thing as incidental contact to the head. As I said, similar to "I didn't mean to cut him with my high stick". This is a problem for a taller kid, as gloves straight out do not hit gloves or chest, but rather the head. There is also usually a stick in that glove too, elevating risk. This is easy enough to tell him, he can figure out how not to do it.

Stopping in your tracks - aka The Wall.
This is Atom House. Big Kid is a second year player, not the best skater in reverse. If he gets caught flat-footed, or about to be overtaken, he stops to reach in to poke check the carrier. This usually does not end well. If the gloves come up to protect, and the stick is there... well, "you are responsible for your stick", but it will likely also be at head height now, for the double minor. I guess the key here is to make sure he is standing offset to the carrier like he is supposed to be. Mobility will hopefully come sooner than later.

The other time this contact happens is when the defense is along the boards, and the puck is coming towards him. Either two players both going at the puck, or the Dman pinching/reaching in to stop/gain the puck from the carrier. I wouldn't mind knowing the rules on this, as this is the other collision last week. Usually the kids would bounce off each other, but not with a big kid.

Also, wouldn't mind knowing, when the carrier tries to power through on the boards. If the Dman steps in front to play the puck on the boards, a collision is almost assured (at this level), whats the call? Does he have to let the carrier go by to avoid the hit, even if he gets the puck?

"He was just playing the puck", or "its not his fault he is bigger", is what we hear from parents. Sometimes they are right, it would not have been called.

TacksMann is offline   Reply With Quote