View Single Post
Old
01-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I would suggest ripping the defense apart and starting over but that is not practical. Coburn is the only legitimate top 4 guy out of that crew and by legitimate I mean a defenseman who is a top 4 on a championship level team. Grossmann, Streiit, and Schenn are all bottom pair guys a good teams needing controlled minutes with little chance of becoming anything more.

I think adding two new guys who can skate and pass and Mark Alt to the lineup is a good start in getting this blueline ready to compete against the good teams in the league.
I think Streit can be considered a top #4, 20 minute guy on a good, deep playoff team... but only if paired with the right guy (like Carle was), Streit can put up 40 points and move a puck well, but he needs a guy to be his defensive mind. But you need someone like Girardi or MacDonald (guys who could possibly be available) for that.

That is the easy bit... quite scarily... as those kind of players are likely unavailable, and very sought after.

And the you need a 1b# to pair with Coburn. (Ehrhoff or Edler are the only ones seemingly semi-available)

That configuration (with possibly a different player combo, but a similar onus) could I believe make a deep run. But getting them would be a crapshoot to begin with, and then very expensive for the 1b#... unless they went after a guy like Del Zotto with potential. And then that is a massive risk.