View Single Post
Old
01-21-2014, 10:55 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I would suggest ripping the defense apart and starting over but that is not practical. Coburn is the only legitimate top 4 guy out of that crew and by legitimate I mean a defenseman who is a top 4 on a championship level team. Grossmann, Streiit, and Schenn are all bottom pair guys a good teams needing controlled minutes with little chance of becoming anything more.

I think adding two new guys who can skate and pass and Mark Alt to the lineup is a good start in getting this blueline ready to compete against the good teams in the league.
Agreed, with the only exception being Streit. I think he could be a number four on a contender if paired with someone who can protect him - similar to Carle.

I've been saying it for a couple of weeks now, but I'm still a big proponent of them making a splash at the draft to get a difference maker on defense. They have a whole slew of good defenssive prospects, but as it stands now, none of them have number one upside. I know, it's easier said than done, but this team isn't going to move towards being a contender until they get a number one defenseman. With that guy, I would feel very comfortable moving forward with guys like Coburn, Streit, Morin, Schenn, Alt, Ghost, and Hagg as your collection of guys to fill the 2-6 roles.