View Single Post
Old
01-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Ti-girl

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Unless he is so heads above the rest that he is bored I would be reluctant to move him up to 9-10 year olds. My daughter began skating shortly before her 4th birthday and began learn to play hockey when she was four. When she was five going on six I was called by the girls commissioner for our organization asking if she'd be interested in playing on the girls U10 team. This team actually played in the boys mite house (7-8 year olds) league.

I was very reluctant to do so but they convinced me to sign her up for it and she thought it would be fun to play with the girls. All I can say is it was a HUGE MISTAKE. Her highlight of the season came with just a few left in the season when she actually got her stick on the puck in a game and moved it about three feet. She came to the bench all excited "Coach Jess (her coach at the time)! Coach Jess, did you see that!?! I moved the puck about three feet." Her skills actually went backwards that season and it took a while for her to get back to where she was.

You mention he's playing up already. Is that on a house team or is it on a travel team? If it's house and he's that good he could always go out for a travel team or double roster on a house and a house select team.
He's on the houseleague teams. He's heads above the Timbits players. When I take him to his games he has a rule with his coach. Once he gets 3 goals he has to set up the other players unless they're behind.

He'll literally stand along the half boards and stick handle until he can set his teammates up.

In the Novice level he doesn't look out of place. He's small, but he has really good skills and speed.

His mom plays in women's teir one. His dad played Jr A. His Uncle played in the WHL. They're all gifted athletes and so is this little guy. We just dont want him to get injured or,as you said, have his skills decrease.