View Single Post
Old
01-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Yeh, tbh for me McKeown or Honka would be the most likely D picks... every now and again I lapse into loving the idea of DeAngelo... hometown kid, dynamic, amazing skater, good hands, insane offensive IQ, I mean, he has the tools to be a 50 point D man when you watch him. But I'm not sure he has his head on straight, and he gives not one toss about actually defending.

I think moving up to get Fleury is entirely possible... I imagine he goes ~7-10 most likely. Moving up 5 places would not be hard or costly... but if it was 10 then it gets a bit trickier, though still doable.

I think Ekblad is out of reach... if he comes up others will be in on him and it could get just silly.

I am not sure how much better he will end up than Fleury, McKeown, DeAngelo or Honka either, I imagine one of them could quite easily end up as good as him. Don't get me wrong, I really like Ekblad, he could immediately play in the NHL, but I don't think he has the room for growth the others do. It is all just speculation though until ~5-6 years or more down the line though!
I am not a fan of DeAngelo or Honka in the 1st round. Both are excellent puck movers but are smaller guys under 6 ft. There is too much risk with those guys, more so than bigger defensemen, of being a complete bust. Look at Ryan Ellis and Ryan murphy. They aren't terrible players but for where they were taken, are not nearly as impactful at the NHL level as most thought they would be. Plus they need protected minutes. You can get smaller puckmovers later in the draft like Gostisbehere. I know there is a high rate of bust for all defensemen, but if you can get a guy with size and puck skills in the first. If that type of guy doesn't hit his ceiling, you can at least try to turn him into more of a defensive defenseman. It's point producer or bust for Honka and DeAngelo.