View Single Post
Old
01-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Funf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I am not a fan of DeAngelo or Honka in the 1st round. Both are excellent puck movers but are smaller guys under 6 ft. There is too much risk with those guys, more so than bigger defensemen, of being a complete bust. Look at Ryan Ellis and Ryan murphy. They aren't terrible players but for where they were taken, are not nearly as impactful at the NHL level as most thought they would be. Plus they need protected minutes. You can get smaller puckmovers later in the draft like Gostisbehere. I know there is a high rate of bust for all defensemen, but if you can get a guy with size and puck skills in the first. If that type of guy doesn't hit his ceiling, you can at least try to turn him into more of a defensive defenseman. It's point producer or bust for Honka and DeAngelo.
I know what you're saying, and I agree, but you also have to think that the Flyers already have a lot of size in their prospect pool. Morin at 6'7", Hagg is 6'1", Alt is 6'4" - they could possibly take a risk on a player like that and really round out the prospect pool.

Having said that, I still want McKeown or Fleury. And you have to take into account the Flyers history of drafting big players.