View Single Post
Old
01-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRoutine View Post
Maybe it wasnt fully intended to hurt Voracek, but that didnt make that play less dangerous. Yeah, fighting for the puck till the end is ok, but slashes like that doesnt often get major penalties just for fun. Slashes like that could easily lead to at least a broken dislocated finger or worse.
Not long ago a teammate of me got his thumb broken and dislocated because of a slash like that.

It was completely impossible for Clutterbuck to lift Voraceks stick from that reach. Even if he wouldnt have hit Voracek on the wrist, he would have hit Voraceks stick from above and thats a clear penalty too. He knew, that he could not get the puck without a foul and that makes it a dangerous play.
Maybe not fully retaliation worthy, but he clearly risked an injury. Since I cooled down a bit, my complainment mainly goes to te refs. This should have been at the very least a minor penalty. This also could have and should been called as an major penalty too:

Taken from the nhl.com official rules 2012-2013:

Rule 61 Slashing:

61.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who slashes an opponent. When injury occurs, a major penalty must be assessed under this rule (see 61.5).

Even with just a minor penalty called by the refs, I dont think the Flyers would have collapsed that badly in the last minutes of the game.
I see your points and acknowledge their merit. At any amateur level, the risk factor weighs far more heavily than the play's effect on the game, since guys have jobs to go to and need their health. At the pro-level, aside from career-ending types of plays, I think it should be different. Just pay hard and with in the rules, if they other guy gets hurt, that's the game.

Really in the end, we agree it was a low reward, high risk thing for Clutterbuck to do from a defensive stand point. We agree it was not really a legitimate defensive technique and that it was a penalty even if it worked (I maintain that there's a good chance it would've gone uncalled, and what ended up happening supports that). We agree the refs should've called it. And it sounds like we both agree now that it was just one of many incidents of poor judgement in the heat of the moment, and Clutterbuck can probably get away without having his face beat in . . . so after some discussion, I think we pretty much agree. Good talk.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote