: Confirmed with Link:
Kevin Klein to NYR for Michael Del Zotto
View Single Post
01-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Join Date: Feb 2007
The more I read about this trade, the more I like it:
1. It allows Jones to slot in on his natural side.
2. MDZ is younger, and his salary shouldn't be much higher than Klein's (2.9) if we resign him. He should probably come in at the mid-3's at most.
3. Klein was a fan favorite, but again, 2/3 pairing defensive defenseman can be found all over the place. Would people be freaking out if he wasn't on such a great contract - suppose he was making 4.0 a year?
4. If anyone can get anything out of MDZ, it's going to be Housley and the should be patented Predator Defenseman Development System. The guy was lights out the year before the lockout - so it's not like he hasn't done it before.
5. I think alot of the aggravation is due to the fact that Klein could have been used to acquire a top 3 forward. I don't think he had that much value. Anyhow, that's something we'll never really know. I think it's pretty silly to continue to wail about how all Poile should have done was to offer him to Philly for Giroux and all our problems would have been solved!
Worst case scenario - Klein goes to NYR and keeps being Klein. MDZ comes to Nashville, never learns to play defense the Predator way, and flames out. We sign another 2nd pairing Defensive d-man. We're no worse off than before.
Best case scenario - Klein goes to NYR and keeps being Klein. MDZ comes in, meshes well in a better D system with better coaching - blossoms into a 40-50 pt Dman playing next to Jones for the next 7+ years.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by RaiderDoug