Thread: Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII
View Single Post
01-23-2014, 10:04 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Does Colorado have the money? I get the feeling that they're on an internal budget right now, although that could change with the success they're seeing. The other question is whether or not Colorado would rather spend that money elsewhere. The money Stastny is going to get would bring in a solid 3rd line center and a decent 2nd pair defenseman. From a roster building standpoint, there are ways in which it makes sense for Colorado to let Stastny go... or even trade him at the deadline for the same reasons we talk about trading Callahan and Girardi.

I'm not entirely sure I would want Stastny on this team. Mostly, I worry about adding another center with skating issues.
I've never seen any indication that they're on an internal budget. I doubt Sakic and Roy would take part in that organization with a restriction like that on the budget.

The money on Stastny might bring in those assets, but who's to say those assets will be available for 'only money' in the offseason? The better move might be to re-sign him and then deal him later as a package for those assets. For now, he's an important veteran presence on a pretty young squad.