View Single Post
Old
01-31-2007, 01:56 PM
xander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahz View Post
Picture Marek Malik at forward and you've got a pretty good idea of Vasicek.

Last year, Vasicek lit up preseason with 7G-3A in 6 games and started off the regular season on the first line with Staal-Stilman. He completely disappeared, was soon demoted to the second and then the third line and had 5 points in 15 games before blowing out his knee.

He returned in early April and had 4 points in his first game back, then completely disappeared yet again, going the rest of the season (seven games) without a point. Out of the 25 playoff games the Hurricanes played, Vasicek was a healthy scratch 17 times in favor of rookies like Andrew Ladd (29 games of NHL experience) and Chad LaRose (49).

His claim to fame is registering 45 points in the 2003-2004 season while getting top line minutes and first unit powerplay time. Whoop-de-do.
Malik's not a great comparison because malik's major flaw is not that he is inconsistant, but rather that he is: soft, slow, hook happy and constantly making poor decisions with the puck.

And I never claimed that Vasicek was a sure thing, far from it, but that he was intruiging. And I don't see how Joseph playing on the top line in 03-04 means anything, exactly who was he playing with? He may have only scored 45 points but no one else got more than 44.

My contention was not that Vasicek is a first line or even a second line center, but that he's a player that has the potential to be a second worth taking a risk on.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote