View Single Post
Old
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
frozenrubber doesn't like to hear that on his board.
I'm sorry, but I'd rather not see our management make the same mistakes it made for the last 10 years. Enough is enough. You say you want to build for the future, stand by your damn words, or don't say anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Why? You get a 2nd C and set your 4 lines and you have a good team up front spear headed by one of the best offensive players in the game...Some of our youth is worth giving up for that shot when you have a Jagr, a top lie, Shanny and lundqvist....All depends on the cost...

As for future top line talents, I don't think we have any...That's where FA will come in again..Just being realistic.,,
C'mon Larry, you're a very sensible Ranger fan, I'm sure that you can see that we need more than a 2nd line center to be a legitimate cup contender.

We need shutdown forwards. Betts, Ward, Hollweg, Ortmeyer, Cullen... they're not shutdown forwards. They're not players that you match up against the opposition's top forwards in a checking role. With the exception of Cullen, these are energy players who really can't score, and are fringe NHL'ers at best. Do you ever wonder why we get scored on so much when these guys are on the ice? Because they can't shut down the opposition's top players. They're not defensively adequate. There is too much being asked of these guys. A championship team would have these guys STRICTLY as 4th liners, possibly even 13th and 14th forwards.

We also need 2 or 3 top 4 defenders, one of them being a #1, or something very close to it. Fedor Tyutin WILL NOT CUT IT AS OUR CURRENT #1. This defense is outplayed more often than not, and that's due to the fact that again, we have a bunch of fringe NHL'ers put together.

We need forwards in our top 6 that CONSISTENTLY BACKCHECK, and have a clue of what they're doing when they're back there. So no, Jagr fans, he doesn't fit this description. Aside from Shanahan, we don't have a player in the top-6 that consistently backchecks. We need skilled forwards who are more defensively responsible. You're not going to win playing run and gun hockey with players who have little or no desire to help out in their own end, because that's the only way the Rangers will be able to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
I think we need a lot more than Forsberg to contend.
Thank you.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote