View Single Post
Old
01-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
you'd be surprised how far a second line center could take this team. We all agree they need about one more defenseman to really be considered a contender, but at the same time, Carolina rode a rookie goalie, lost a top scorer, got some hired guns, and won the Cup. IF, the Rangers had a quality second line centerman, and Jagr was healthy, and Lundqvist looks like he did last season...then the defense woes become less apparent.
With a better 2nd line center, with a good D, I am afraid(!) that we will become the Detroit Red Wings...

My point is, I don't think we are that far from becomming a President Trophy winner. Like Detroit. But they have also been knocked out of the PO's three straight years in the first round, right? (not 100% sure if my memory serves me right on that one)

There are never any gaurantees in the PO's. Its tough. But I do wonder if we'd even be the best PO's team in the league with Joe Thornton and Scott Niedermayer on board...

On the way to a cup we would have to beat 4 very honest, very hard working teams. Somewhere along the line it just feels like we are bound to run out of gas.

Though it might just be me selling the team short. But if you look at Carolina's roster last season, Staal, Stillman, Whitney, Cullen, Adam's x2, Cole among others, they were led by players that are very tough to fight down to the ground. Guys that you never can get to stop no matter how hard you play against them. Our leaders don't really got that.

If we filled our holes, I think we could beat anyone in the first round, we would then struggle some in the 2nd round, but still would have a chance, and then come the Conference finals, I just don't see extremly hardworking guys, but still somewhat fragile, like Nylander, Straka, Jagr, Prucha and co lead the way for us all the way through 3-4 hardfought PO's series against extremely good teams.

Add a young soldier like Eric Staal to our 2nd line and a Eric Cole to flank him and its another story.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote