View Single Post
Old
01-23-2014, 11:48 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I don't think finding an elite top pairing defenseman is a need. I think finding defenseman who aren't going to be playing out of their limitations is needed. Not only will those kind of defenseman be upgrades on guys like N. Schultz, Potter and Larsen but they are going to allow Ference, Petry and Schultz to play without pressure. I think if you add some grit and push Ference down the lineup he will be in his Boston form. If Petry is your #3-4 and you're not asking him to be a 1-2 the stupid mistakes and fatigue will decline. If Justin Schultz isn't being asked to be your only real puckmover he'll take a step forward. Most importantly, if you have a decent tandem behind them they aren't going to be overthinking and playing too tentative.

You look at teams like Anaheim, Tampa, New Jersey, Colorado who aren't allowing many goals per game.. solid goaltending and a reliable core of defenseman is enough to win games. New Jersey isn't winning a whole lot but they also don't have the offense we do.

Find reliable goalies/defenseman and we will take a step forward. Achieving this also allows Nurse, Marincin, Klefbom, possibly Ekblad to develop properly and that's when we take another step forward if they reach their potential.
I don't think this can be understated. We need to be bringing in bridge guys who can play for 3-4 years while our guys develop.

I mean look what a guy like Matt Carle did to Philly when he left. the previous 3 years with him their in the playoffs. He leaves and they take a nose dive. Now that he's in Tampa there starting to pick up there game. I think a lot of people really underestimate influence on a game a PMD can have.