Thread: Player Discussion: Andrej Meszároš
View Single Post
Old
01-24-2014, 03:22 PM
kjbhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Please stop referring to Gus as a "kid" or a "prospect." He is 25, less than three years younger than Andrej Meszaros.

Gus simply is not as good as people like to pretend, and Mesz is not as bad as people like to pretend. While Mez is firing like this offensively, leave him in there. If Gus was playing like this, I'd say the same thing. But he isn't. When he gets back in the lineup, which I'm sure he will, we'll see how he does.

But Mez isn't sucking...he's at basically PPG over this last month. He isn't playing well defensively, but a defenseman scoring at a PPG clip is not something I would tweak with. You can complain all day about his poor defense, but you simply can't overlook his offensive output as of late. Then again, I guess you can, since that is what you are doing. I'm not ignoring his poor defensive efforts here, I'm just saying I can live with them while he puts up these numbers. When he starts to fizzle, if his defense continues to be bad, then bench him. But until then, I leave him out there.

Gus is 25. He's not Samuel Morin. He's not Robert Haag. He's an undrafted 25 year old. If Morin or Haag were in the mix, we woudln't be having this discussion. That is how it works. You don't just give guys playing time in the NHL because they are young. If they earn it, great. Let them play. But a defenseman ripping a PPG month doesn't get benched because there is some guy that is 25 and might be a pretty good 6th defender one day is on the bench.
About time someone brought the Gus lovers back to earth. Exactly the point I've been trying to make. He's not an elite level prospect or even that young. He's a fringe hockey player at best. We've had enough of a sample size to know exactly what he is.

kjbhockey is offline   Reply With Quote