Old
01-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Absolutely, but he in the midst of a hot streak. I have no problem sitting him after he cools down. I've been saying that since the preseason. You play the guy that is playing better. Going into the season, my thought was it was Mez's job to lose because Gus had played only 60 games spread over three seasons. He essentially lost the gig to Gus. Gus then got hurt. Mez stepped up his offensive play and has been on fire as of late. Leave him in until he cools down. If he keeps playing this hot, or his defense improves, don't do anything. Gus will still be there as your bottom pair guy when you need him. He's not going anywhere as an RFA and his development as a 25 year old has gone about as far as it can at this point. I don't think anyone should realistically think he's going to be anything more than he is right now, or at least not much more than a 5/6 guy. This isn't Samuel Morin riding the pine. Hell this isn't even a prospect riding the pine. This is a 25 year old, who has not even played the equivalent of a full season over four years. If he was 21 and a former first rounder and he had played 80 games last year, then ok, I'd get your argument. Let the kid develop. But he's not. He's a bottom pair guy that can be re-signed for cheap next year or let walk and easily be replaced. Then a new bottom pair guy can become the golden boy on HFBoards who the organization ruins.

It's not necessarily that I am trusting the organization to anything. You play a guy that is playing hot. He is having problems in the defensive zone, for sure. He got embarrassed by Horton last night. But he also has been creating offense. Put Gus out there and you hae a more stable defender, but less offense. Maybe that is better. Maybe it isn't. If I'm the coach, I'd ride Mez. Just like if Mez went down and lets say Hal Gill came in and was playing well. Then I'd ride Gill. Or Gus. Or Lauridsen. Or any other player that is interchangeable that is playing well.
If I'm coach I noticed the defense is terrible and seek to improve it by playing a better player.

A big part of the reason they're losing games is an inability to get out of their own zone. Mez's massive amount of costly turnovers is a big factor in that. Berube says he believes in creating offense from defense. Mez is the opposite of that philosophy.

Edit: Letting Gus go because he's easily replaced...remind me, how many defensively decent PMDs are out there to be had for less than 2 mil? You think like the Flyers org...incorrectly.