View Single Post
Old
01-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Joe Watson: Drafted and developed by Bruins, taken by FLyers in Expansion draft.

Barry Ashbee: Played for a bunch of years in the AHL before going to Boston, then Philly.

Mark Howe: Drafted and Developed in Hartford

Brad McCrimmon: Drafted and developed by Boston

Eric Desjardins: Drafted and Developed in Montreal

Kimmo Timonen: Drafted and developed elsewhere in general

Chris Pronger: St. Louis

Coburn, Carle(including because why not), Mez, Grossmann, Streit, Schenn: Drafted and developed elsewhere.

Flyers on current roster drafted and developed by Flyers: Gus

Flyers on current roster being jerked around the most for no logical reason: Gus

Notable past Flyers drafted, developed, and kept by Flyers: Jimmy Watson. Chris Therien. Excuse me while I play an instrument worthy of celebrating the drafting and development of something like 2 staple players in 40+ years:

If anybody else can think of consequential dmen drafted, developed, and kept by Philly for a noteworthy amount of time, feel free to chip in. This is all I can think of off the top of my head.
Tom Bladon (463 games) and Behn Wilson (339 games)... them, Therien and Jimmy Watson is the entire list frankly.

Then there is the list of 'Drafted, semi-developed, given up on.':

Murray Baron: 83 games for the Flyers... 903 elsewhere. (traded age 23 (Part of Brindy trade))

Gord Murphy: 261 games for the Flyers... 601 elsewhere. (traded age 24 (Garrey Galley, Wes Waltz... fair enough really.)

Dmitri Yushkevich: 197 games for the Flyers initially...571 elsewhere and 18 more for Flyers when old. (traded age 24 for Zubrus pick.)

Janne Niinimaa: 143 games for the Flyers...598 elsewhere. (traded age 22 for McGillis.)

Kevin McCarthy: 84 games for the Flyers...453 elsewhere. (traded age 21 for Dennis Ververgaert.)

Dennis Seidenberg: 93 games for the Flyers... 522 elsewhere. (traded age 24 for Nedved.)

Joni Pitkanen: 206 games for the Flyers... 329 elsewhere. (traded age 23.)

So of the 11 truly significant NHL D men the Flyers have ever drafted 7 were traded by 24 years old... mainly for forwards.

Even the ones who 'stayed' for significant time with the Flyers:
Wilson was traded age 24.
Bladon was traded age 25.

So that is a grand total of 2/11 good D men they kept past age 25.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote