View Single Post
Old
02-01-2007, 08:30 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
I'll weigh in with my two cents. Since the beginning of the year I thought the team was terribly flawed. The team has a mediocre defense and two or three legitimate scoring threats, Jagr, Shanny, Straka and pehaps Prucha. The team does have an elite goalie and very fine defensive prospects in Staal, Sauer, Baranka Sangunetti to go along with Tyutin, and perhaps Girardi.Regrettably, Jagr and company will not be around when this team can legitimately compete. As I've stated many times, slipping into the playoffs to be immediately eliminated is not the goal. Building a team to legitimately compete each year is the goal. Therefore, I would be courageous and look to trade Jagr, Shanny, Nylander and Straka. Just as many posters have stated they would be buyers for the right price, I would be a seller for the right price. I go back to when I first watched the Rangers and fell in love with Andy Bathgate. He was yesterday's Jagr. The Rangers finally traded him to Toronto for a bevy of prospects. It helped to accelerate the team to respectability. The team should bite the bullet and try to obtain some young top six forward prospects to really have a foundation ON WHICH TO BUILD. Pitts burgh and Washington will be way ahead of us for the next five years if we do not change the mode of operation. Rebuttals please
I'm with you and have been throughout the season.

There's just way to many holes on this team to think it has a legit shot at passing through the 1st round in the playoffs.

The fact of the matter is, I'd be more surprised if the team actually made the playoffs than if they didn't.

But as folks have stated, this is NY and even if the myth that you can't rebuild in NY isn't true, Rangers management operates like it is and that's just sad. Because as we continue to re-gurgitate old vets like a Jagr and a Shanny (who has pretty much stopped scoring for the last 20+ games) and Nylander and Straka the future of the team never gets developed properly and dies on the vine.

Unfortunate

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote