View Single Post
Old
01-30-2004, 04:52 PM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
This situation is similar to Spezza in Ottawa. Now before I get jumped for comparing Spezza with Rita, I'm not. But since he's been in Ottawa, Spezza has struggled with his consistency like most young players do. Only recently has he been starting to be more consistent. Jacques Martin has always been harder on his younger players like Havlat and Spezza. There were times where they were benched for a whole period, but not sent down for extended periods of time. My point: It will come a time IMO where Rita wil have to stay in Edmonton for more than 2 or 3 games. Let him hang with players like Moreau, Staios, Smith Dvo, York etc...To see what it takes to be an NHLer.

He cannot learn anything else in the AHL. He won't learn consistency. Saying he's in the AHL because he's not consistent is punishing him. The next step should be to have him learn how to be a consistent and professional NHL player from those who've done it for the past 10 years.
I will disagree with you greatly on the fact that he won't learn consistency in the AHL. That is one place I think that you can learn consistency, because it is the place where you can see the difference between when you do good and when you do bad. He gets the same icetime, and gets put in the same situations all the time... if you can't learn consistency in that scenario, how are you going to learn it playing 9 minutes one night, and 14 the next?