View Single Post
Old
01-25-2014, 08:24 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
I'm sorry, I don't care if he has the leadership of Herb Brooks, no ****ing intangibles are worth 6 million dollars a year, for the lack of offense he brings.

6 million dollars should be for near PPG players, Callahan will never be close to that, and I love the guy.

You're missing the point, it's not that Callahan or Girardi are bad players. It's that on a team, absolutely loaded with long and expensive contracts, we CAN'T give Girardi and Callahan contracts that you reserve for star players. If they were resigned, this team still has the same needs. A #1 center, OFD men, and another top 6 LW. When that much of the cap is taken up by players you are overpaid, you're setting yourself up for long term failure.

In what dimension of the hockey universe is Callahan worth 6 million anyway? Or Girardi, who literally can't function at a high level without a good partner, worth 6 million either? Sounds like you're overpaying to keep players you like. You save overpayments for players that can't be replaced. 50 point RW'ers and complimentary RHD can be replaced, it's not the impossible task you make it out to be.

Thornton and Marleau might not have won anything, but San Jose is a hell of a lot closer to a Stanley cup than this team is, and Thornton is irreplaceable, even at his age. Marleau isn't of the same caliber but he can still be relied on for 55-65 points a year, though I think Marleau is overpaid. Bringing up them not being on their olympic teams is totally irrelevant.
I actually had the contracts reversed. I thought G was getting 6 and Callahan 5.

In any event, Marleau is 34 and he signed for 6.66M/per and that's a deal that you say you don't make yet the team that you're touting as closer to the Cup than the Rangers just did.

I'm not being emotional or talking about players that I "like" and I feel that you're undervaluing both players by saying G is a "complimentary RHD" and aren't hard to replace. Then why the **** would clubs like Anaheim and Boston covet a guy like Girardi and Callahan?

And arguing about cap space as being some kind of factor here simply isn't the problem. Richards will likely be bought out, the cap is going up to 71 million+ by most measures, and you have to pay top 6 forwards and top pairing D a decent amount of money NO MATTER WHAT unless a guy like McD falls your lap or you get lucky drafting.

And, yeah, I realize that Team Canada is a lot harder to make than Team USA, but saying Callahan can't hold Thornton's jock strap and that he's "mediocre" and easily replaced is just a bunch of BS. Mediocre players don't make team USA anymore.