View Single Post
Old
01-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Blue Liner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton Modano Curve View Post

William Nylander is SB dream. A bit undersized highly skilled Swedish center who played youth hockey in Chicago before moving back to Sweden. He's long gone before we pick. But a guy like this is made for Stan. Too bad everybody's heard of him.

As for Stan's token Chicago draft pick, listed below are where the Chicago Mission alumni rank in the Central Scouting ranking this year. 5 Chicago Mission Alumni have been in the Hawk's system at one point recently and a couple more have been invited to prospect camp. Wouldn't be surprised if Stan went back to the well.

EURO
William Nylander #2

NORTH AMERICA
Nick Schmaltz #19
Christian Dvorak #69
Anders Bjork #86
Blake Clarke #93
Seamus Malone #128

If anyone knows where other Chicago boys from Fury, TI, CYA are ranked please post!

Personally would love a Nick Schmaltz pick. He was as high as top 10 in some mock drafts before the season began but it seems like he's settled into where the Hawks are picking now. Playing in the USHL and being American probably not the best thing for his draft status - sure didn't hurt guys like Backes, Pavelski, and Carlson though.
Schmaltz is very talented, I just worry about his compete level a little bit. I also don't believe he's actually a Chicago native, but I could be wrong. Think he's from Wisconsin, just played for the Mission.

If he's still around that late (don't think he will be) I'd take Sonny Milano (USNTDP) over Schmaltz. Or if Tuch happens to fall that late he'd a be a great pick on D, as well. I don't personally think either of those two will still be there at #22, though. We'll see.

Be interesting to see how Dvorak getting injured will affect his draft status. He was really starting to come into his own before he got hurt. Been watching him since last year with the Mission. I like him a lot.