View Single Post
Old
02-01-2007, 04:35 PM
dave4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Maybe being sellers isn't such a terrible idea.
Who would we really be unloading?
Not:
Jagr, Straka, Nylander, Shanahan, prucha, cullen, ortmeyer, hollweg, Hossa, Tyutin, Roszival,

Maybe:
Ward, Hall, Orr, Betts, Malik, A. Ward, Rachunek,

Hope not but maybe: Pock, Girardi

Now by becoming sellers given these expectations we actually set ourselves up nicely. We may only acquire marginal (3rd, 4th, 5th rounders) draft picks, however, that may be a gift in disguise. Afterall, it doesn't take much to trade up a few spots in the draft, especially come 2nd round. If we have a few extra picks to throw around and grab someone that Maloney and crew like, well then DO IT!!!!

Also, without these guys, the dynamics of our team do not change too much at all that would put us in a far worse spot than we are. And maybe the young guys we call up could provide a little energy boost that would propel us past this battle for 9th that we're currently in while at the same time allowing us to decide now what are holes are for next year instead of aimlessly going out and sign the ward's and cullens of the world. ALSO, means that there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to get a guy like forsberg thus securing our "W.I.P." prospects.

For those reasons, i say sell. Worse case we clear some cap space, move up a couple spots, and identify our weaknesses for next year.
I agree with this, but about the only untouchables I can think of on the team would be Lundqvist, Prucha, and Tyutin.

Don't jump all over me, I'm not saying we 'dump' Jagr, Shanahan, and everybody else, but if we get blown away by an offer of a great young player we should at least consider it.

Clear up cap space by bringing up some of the kids, go after UFA's like Drury, Datsyuk or Gomez, maybe even take a flyer on a Sakic or a Guerin for a year, like we did with Shanny, IF the price is right. Someone with two healthy feet at least.

Hopefully Staal is able to contribute too, and we come back lean and mean in 2007, ready to kick butt.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote