Thread: Player Discussion: Brad Richards
View Single Post
Old
01-27-2014, 12:54 AM
azaloum90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyH View Post
It's a hard question to answer. My opinion only comes from the limited view I have of Richards as a person, and the growing number of players who have remained effective to later and later stages of their careers. I suppose you could say all of them are exceptions, but without a stat sheet to back me up, it's my gut feeling that with proper care for one's body and a driven personality, it's becoming less and less unheard of to be a good late thirties NHLer. Right now BR is leading our team in scoring and TOI. He's a big figure in the locker room. If I look around the league at guys who are playing at a high level at his age, I'd bet a lot of them will still be effective in 4-5 years--Thornton, Marleau, Hossa, Chara, H. & D.Sedin, Kunitz. Obviously a lot of those guys are probably a step up from Richards, but I don't think (for some) their leaps and bounds ahead. Anyway, my point is that in my mind it's as much a gamble as to whether Richards can continue to be effective as it is to sign a UFA and assume he will be more effective than Richards could be. Maybe that's just my Rangers fan bias, but I am afraid of UFAs haha, especially one's we put in big roles to replace big players. I could see us signing Stastny to a similar contract to Richards and him being much less effective...but that's just me.
the bolded in particular a agree with, but you are spot on

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote