Old
01-27-2014, 11:36 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I think this aspect always gets overrated.

College players definitely have more academic related work to do. I'm sure there's a much bigger social scene compared to juniors as well, which can act as a distraction.

It's not like he's got 2 games on the weekend and hits the gym during the week for 5 hours a day.
At a powerhouse program, the work load is debatable. As far as the social scene, my understanding from those that I know is that it's pretty comparable. Junior hockey is a big part of the culture in Canada and border towns, so you have some 17 year old kids that are idolized. Lots of avenues for them to get into stuff. And it happens all the time. The distractions are everywhere.

I've known a couple collegiate hockey players, not even at any type of high level. They were all gym rats. I assume with the added structure of a high-profile program, it's the same if not more intense. They'd skate, lift, go to class, lift. If they couldn't lift as a team, they'd go as a team to the gym and lift "on their own." I think lifting is just an ingrained part of the culture of American college sports. Really, you have to lift to compete, as you're competing against a bunch of older, more mature players.

I'm a big advocate of going the NCAA route. I think it turns out guys that have good two-way games and are physically developed. Now, that's not at all to say those types of players don't come out of the CHL leagues. Every player has to choose what's best for them. It's not a one-size-fits-all type of thing.

It's just pain.