Old
01-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I've made this argument with many people before. A star player has tremendous leverage, NTC or not. A perfect example would be Jeff Carter going to Columbus. I think most teams would avoid such a mess by checking with the player before completing the trade, and Carter did quickly did his ticket out of Columbus afterwards. If Weber were to be traded, I think the Flyers would be the best trading partner. Obviously Weber wouldn't mind going there, and Philly has the kind of players that Trotz and Poile like, such as Schenn, Courtier, Simmonds, etc.
Don't confuse anything Jeff Carter did up here with something that most NHL players - or, frankly, any other NHL players ever in the history of the game - would ever do. His on-ice poutfest was quite literally unprecedented.

If you want a decent example, try Pronger and Edmonton. Sure, he may go there, but he may not stay. But at that point it's no longer Nashville's problem.

That said, I still think this discussion is a tad premature. A quick reminder for some folks: Suter left because of Suter, not because of Nashville.