Thread: Brad Richards
View Single Post
Old
01-27-2014, 03:24 PM
zuckera1

vCash: 500
I like Brad as a player, he makes so many smart decisions with the puck especially in the offensive zone. Every now and then I see a flash or two of what made him a great player a few years ago, yet his skating and agility have declined to the point that he's not as effective. He still has a very heavy shot and is a decent play-maker. Off the ice, he's a consummate professional.

Having said all of that, I still believe we should buy him out at the end of the season. This move may hurt in the short-term, but his contract will become an albatross in 2-3 years when he's 35-36 and is a third-line center. Doesn't matter how high the cap is, you don't want to have 6.67 million tied up in a player like that. If he retires or gets hurt, the recapture penalties will hurt us even more. Even if we can't find an immediate replacement for next year, buying him out is still the right move.

If I'm the Rangers I extend Brassard for next season, give him a 1-year deal around 4 million. I'd also want to sign a guy like Grabovski, who would be an excellent 2C. Stay away from Stastny please, we'd have to overpay him and in 2-3 years we may be in the same situation we are in with BR right now.

zuckera1 is offline   Reply With Quote