View Single Post
Old
01-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by melnyk budget View Post
Non NYR fan curious about this guy's development...

Do you think this is a 'flash in the pan' type season?

or has he been slowly developing over the years and is finally breaking out?

What's making him more successful now than ever before?
You're definitely going to get mixed opinions on this question. Zuccarello has been a huge debate for a year or so now.

I don't think this is a flash in the pan. Torts never gave him a chance to succeed. He was sent to the AHL the second he made a bad play or had a bad game, and when he did get to play, he'd play with Boyle and Fedotenko. His game wasn't suited to dump and chase, period.

Since the year has begun, he's noticeably faster than he's ever been, he's got a lot more explosiveness in his stride and he's able to beat a lot of defenders with it. He also wins a lot of board battles for his size, more than some of the bigger forwards on the team. AV really likes him, and has been rewarding him with PK time which he never saw under Torts. His defensive play is much better than before, for sure. He backchecks like a demon, but that's in part due to his improved skating.

He's a much better player than I've ever seen him, and I hope he gets locked up long term.