View Single Post
01-27-2014, 09:07 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
1998-99 to 2003-04, though he slowed down a bit for some time after the 2002 Olympics. He was great outside those years, but I think he had a clear peak during this time that is often overlooked because overall league scoring plummeted.
Sounds about right. Kinda funny that he has five 100-point seasons outside of his peak and only one inside of it, but that's definitely when the perception of him was the highest.

But really, the guy was something special from start-to-finish. Whatever ground people make up on him in their best three or four seasons, Sakic gains back on his fifth-nineteenth best seasons. His career composition reminds me of a Nicklas Lidstrom or a Martin Brodeur.

But the funny thing is, he's also got some all-time great regular season (2001) and playoffs (1996) in addition to that longevity as a top-ten player. A player that will only look better as the years pass. I still think he falls a little short of Esposito, but when we were looking at every statistical measure starting from Round 2, his name kept popping up in unexpected places.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote