View Single Post
Old
01-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Blurt Vision

vCash: 500
Ok I hated the McIlrath pick. My reasoning was, his upside placed him in the 2nd tier for value. In today's dollars a fully realized McIlrath is at best a 4-5 million dollar asset. Whatever his defensive upside, he's never going to be in the Doughty, Weber, Subban strata and therefore he isn't a 1st pairing defenseman. Meanwhile, at the time of the pick his skating was characterized as poor and, other than at full speed straight ahead which is reasonable for a guy his size, his skating looks poor to me.

Problem with McIlrath for me now is, from the preseason game where anybody should have been able to see he was getting sent down immediately after the game, until he got sent down again, he had made no progress. Astoundingly bad stepping up decisions, getting smoked in turn and burn situations, flopping behind the net when getting blown by, didn't seem very encouraging to me. His fight with McGrattan was admirable as is his willingness to go with anybody. Does he have the punching power of the best in class? I haven't seen it; if you have video of him ko'ing a guy, or making a bloody mess out of someone, I'd be happy to revise this part of my opinion.

Ok then, since all I said in my post was basically, McIlrath won't be "ready" at the start of next season, we will know soon if McIlrath how that turns out. I'll remember this discussion. Meanwhile, I've yet to see anything that makes me confident McIlrath will turn out better than Engelland. Bringing in Engelland, playing him only against teams with guys like Matt Martin and David Backes either as a 4th liner or 7th defender, wouldn't kill me.