View Single Post
01-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Can't Beat Him
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
I'd agree with the bolded if this team was close to being a contender. They aren't. If we keep the same mediocre team together, with pay raises, the roster doesn't get any better and we have the same problems.

Girardi doesn't have even close to the skill to warrant 6 million for a defenseman. Watching him with the puck is painful. He's excellent positionally, and blocks shots. That's really it. I can't possibly see a justification to giving him 6 million when he has zero puck skill.

Staal-Stralman have been our best defensemen this month, easily. And they play around 20 minutes a game. If they could take on a few extra minutes, the blow of losing Girardi is very softened. And I've already said it, but who says his future replacement can't come back in a trade?

We don't exactly need a defender of Girardi's caliber on McDonagh's pairing. And we still have a lot of roster holes. If by the trade deadline, all our defensemen keep up their good play, Girardi should be traded to fill another hole, notably pmd.

I also don't buy the argument that since he hasn't been injured, he'll continue to be that way. He's getting older, and he's played worse every year for three straight years. Now, he hasn't been that much worse, but the decline is happening, and it's noticeable.
I don't think replacing Girardi with some random UFA of lesser talent, or a prospect and a pick, will get us any closer to being a contender in the next few years.

If the decline in Girardi's game has been so noticeable, and he's not worth close to $6M (which is probably the going rate for a #2/#3 on the open market), then what do you think we'll get for him in a trade? The player you're describing Girardi to be sounds like a bottom-pairing defenseman. Who's going to give us valuable assets for a bottom-pairing defender about to his UFA status? What good PMD are we getting for the mediocre player you're describing? If he's worth valuable assets, it's because he's a good player that can be counted on to play big minutes for a good team. You can't sit there and say Girardi is a mediocre defenseman in decline and at the same time think he'll return anything worthwhile.

Yes, he is getting older. But he's still only 29. He's not 32 or 33. He still has good years of hockey ahead of him. I guess the fundamental disagreement between us is that I think Girardi is quite a bit better than you do. I also think we stand a better chance of contending in the next five years with Girardi than whatever we'd receive in return for him (especially if he's viewed by the rest of the league as he is by you, which wouldn't net us a whole lot in return).

It's just pain.