Thread: Player Discussion: Erik Gustafsson (2012-13 season and beyond)
View Single Post
Old
01-29-2014, 11:08 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 920
The Daily News has an article today...

Quote:
He watched them in the press box at home games, agonizingly sitting as a healthy scratch while frequent sub Andrej Meszaros tore it up with nine points in six games.

"I told a few guys, I thought it would be a long time before I got back in the lineup," Gustafsson said. " 'Mez' was playing great. I feel sorry for him. It's tough being on the side - I know. He played so well."

Gustafsson, 25, also watched video of his first 20 games this season. And he spent plenty of time soul-searching.

"I want to find my game," Gustafsson said. "It's been a season of ups and downs. I'm just trying to look forward. My goal is obviously to be in the lineup every game for the rest of the season."

Quote:
"His defensive play had fallen," Berube said. "I didn't like his game in Columbus, that's why I made the change. It's just what I did, [there were] all kinds of options."

For Gustafsson, it was the perfect opportunity to try to impress the coaching staff. The result was a disastrous, 6-1 blowout loss to the Bruins.

The main difference between Gustafsson and a full-time NHL player is not a physical attribute - although a better shot from the point wouldn't hurt. Instead, as Gustafsson believes, the difference lies in between his ears.

"I think it's confidence, being able to hold onto the puck, relax out there and be able to make the right decisions," Gustafsson said. "You've got to be composed, be poised with the puck. You need to join the rush, be able to make quick passes to forwards to get them up to the offensive zone.

"Being out helped a little bit, actually. You have way more time with the puck than you actually realize out there."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...d1WvfIwpXEM.99