Thread: Kevin Klein
View Single Post
01-30-2014, 07:53 AM
eco's bones
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
I think this is bang on, but the one thing I've observed of Klein, over his career, is that even though he is not a frequent fighter he IS a fairly willing combatant. What I mean by that is, he doesn't really drop them unless it's needed, but unlike our guys who rarely/never go (Girardi/Staal/McDonagh) Klein will mix it up after the whistle more and shove you away from his goalie and show a greater willingness to throw the gloves off if you test him.

I know it doesn't mean much when the resulting fights are still infrequent, but I feel like the presence of a willing fighter (and one who has shown he can throw 'em pretty well when he does go, even if it isn't often) adds a little something to the D core. Staal, Girardi and McD don't have that quality. They're physical enough, but they don't have that "edge" that Klein's willingness provides. I actually think Klein likes to fight and the reason he doesn't do so more often is that he's smart and realizes it's a poor trade for his team most of the time.
Originally Posted by Callahan Auto View Post
I have hardly noticed Klein the last couple of games... and that's a really good thing. I tend to notice D-Men most when they're blowing assignments and making bad decisions. Klein is never going to be the type of player to consistently make jaw-dropping offensive plays but you don't need to in order to be a successful NHL D-Man. Grabbing him to pair with Moore was a great idea in concept and has been great in execution. When you consider the contract, this is a deal that's very likely to pay off for the Rangers. It's not the high-risk high-reward type of move that can land a team a star but it's a subtle move that's smart all around.
Basically I'm just a lot more comfortable with our third pairing than I've been in a long time. The last game against Pittsburgh--Moore and DZ getting caught out on the ice against the Crosby line and the team just went into total panic mode. Having a good 3rd pairing gives your top two pairings room to breathe and we won't have to overplay them as much.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote