Thread: Post-Game Talk: Game 2 of a Day-Night Double Header
View Single Post
Old
01-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Bardof425*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Actual puck possession time isn't even a real thing. When advanced stats talks about puck possession, they're basically just measuring shots for your team while you're on the ice vs shots against your team while you're on the ice, not how much time you or your team actually has the puck on the stick.

That said, supposedly they've found that shot quality isn't much of a thing and there's no relevant way of measuring that, but eh.

I think the advanced stats can definitely be useful but they are incomplete and not particularly good at picking out individual players and providing a clear picture of how good or bad they are.

So, it's all about the shots on goal with adjustments made for zone starts and competition? Again, subjective and not reliable even over a large sample. If people quoted these stats as just an additional measure of a player's performance I would be fine. But too often they are used as a means of providing a definitive measure of performance and that is not credible; at all.

You shouldn't need stats to determine how good or bad you think a player is; if you watch them play night after night. And as Ranger fans I assume we're all watching them night after night.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote