Old
02-03-2007, 11:13 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I like Sutter.

But I can also see this team moving their first to get younger talent.

Either way, trading the team's 4 best forwards is not the answer. I'd much rather see this team go out and bring in a younger play to play WITH Shanahan.

A guy like Shanahan, even if he eventually drops down to a third line player, is still ideal for me because he's a guy I want in that lockerroom.

The team has had plenty of picks and prospects over the years, more picks isn't going to make a world of difference if the scouting department can't find players. Next year will be when this team needs to start showing some results from it's efforts. If it doesn't, one extra late first round pick isn't going to change that.
I agree. The top 4 aren't going anywhere. And, I'd probably keep A. Ward around for some veteran stability on the blueline. (But, he should be getting 3rd pairing minutes at this point.) Next year SHOULD be the 1st year we see the results of the first draft after the purge. Callahan just about ready, Dubi will have a full year under his belt, Montoya should be ready enough to be an inexpensive alternative to Weekes as a backup, and Byers and Korpkoski could make runs at being 4th liners. Plus, the 1st fruits of the 2005 draft, in the form of Staal, could make its presence felt. And, if this upcoming draft is what I've heard it will be - a deep draft with not much difference between rounds one and two, it might not be a bad year to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote