View Single Post
Old
02-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I agree. The top 4 aren't going anywhere. And, I'd probably keep A. Ward around for some veteran stability on the blueline. (But, he should be getting 3rd pairing minutes at this point.) Next year SHOULD be the 1st year we see the results of the first draft after the purge. Callahan just about ready, Dubi will have a full year under his belt, Montoya should be ready enough to be an inexpensive alternative to Weekes as a backup, and Byers and Korpkoski could make runs at being 4th liners. Plus, the 1st fruits of the 2005 draft, in the form of Staal, could make its presence felt. And, if this upcoming draft is what I've heard it will be - a deep draft with not much difference between rounds one and two, it might not be a bad year to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd.
To me next year is a more important year than this year because we start to see who is taking the leaps and who isn't. A lot of the 03 and 04 kids will have experience under their belts and we should start to see how far they've come (or haven't come).

Personally if they could, I'd like to see the Rangers go after a guy like a Horton or a Richards and move some assets to get him.

You compliment a move like that by adding a Dawes or a Callahan, Staal, etc. to your roster.

I am willing to avoid drafting this year if it brings a higher end young talent back in return.

But everything from this point is going to be out asset management. This is where the guys doing this for a living are required to show why they should continue to get paid to do this for a living.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote