View Single Post
Old
01-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
Where does Jaromir Jagr rank purely offensively?

So Jagr is currently leading the Devils in scoring with 46 points in 55 games (on pace for 69 points over a full seson), at age 41 and with the next-highest scorer on his team (Elias, who has missed games) at only 31 points. Obviously he's also been passing some milestones this year in terms of surpassing the goals and points totals of some notable players (such as Lemieux).

So the question is, based purely on offense, where does Jagr rank? This means:

-Ignore defensive play, or lack thereof

-Ignore intangibles such as leadership (this one is an up-and-down for Jagr IMO, but that's not really relevant to the question), and aspects related to off-ice drama (feuding with coaches, etc.)

-Ignore other aspects of the game such as physicality unless they are related to the player's offense (for instance with Jagr, the difficulty in bringing him down or taking the puck away from him would be relevant; for a player like Lindros, his punishing forechecking would be relevant, and so on)

I think it's clear right away he's behind Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr, and that it's not even really worth discussing those three. So assuming (unless someone wants to argue otherwise) the highest anyone else can be is 4th, where does Jags slot in? I'll add my own thoughts later.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote