View Single Post
Old
01-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
On the surface it may look that way, but when you dig into the type of player Stastny is and the things he brings to the table outside of being an equal point producer to Richards you would see that thsi is an acquisition geared towards making the team in the mold of the head coach and the style that AV uses.

Production being equal between Brad and Paul, Stastny is a better skater, which if paird with Kreider or Hagelin enhances the overall teem speed. Is Stastny a burner like the two mentioned wingers? No, but he's got alot more speed than Richards.

Puck possession, Stastny is a FO guy that is as good as Boyle. In fact over the last 4 seasons, Stastny has been slightly better than our BEST face off man.

Stastny
2013-14 - 54.3%
2012-13 - 52.4%
2011-12 - 55.4%
2010-11 - 53.2%

Boyle
2013-14 - 55.2%
2012-13 - 56.4%
2011-12 - 51.8%
2010-11 - 48.5%

Richards
2013-14 - 50.8%
2012-13 - 50.6%
2011-12 - 51.8%
2010-11 - 50.6%

Additionally Stastny is, and has been a better defensive player.

If Rrichards was 28 years old, at his current rate of production, I would have no issues keeping him and his 6.66 cap hit for the next 6 years. Unfortunately that is not the case.

That said, I also have no issues paying an identical player production wise a little xtra based on the other aspects of his game that better lend itself to the style and system that AV employs.

we want AV to succeed, then we have to give him the assets needed to do that.

the most I would go for Stastny is 7.5. I think the aspects of his game that he possess that are better than Richards is worth just under a million in cap space, or as the math has shown just .2% increase in overall footprint starting the 2014-15 season.
I agree with you on Stastny, by the looks of it Colorado fans do as well.

Where my opinion differs from yours is that I would want Stastny, Stepan and Brassard all at the same time, and I would want them to roll three legit 2 way lines using them as the centers.

I like Miller, actually quite a bit, and I certainly would not mind if he was on the team next season. I think he is a better center than wing as well. So I think either 4th line, which with say Dorsett and Carcillo is not a bad spot, or they bring back D Moore for that spot and they move Miller to wing until he is really ready to take over a full time NHL center position.

To me that would be a direction, three centers who all have vision, smarts, passing ability, puck possession traits, and can score goals themselves sometimes.

It would make the wings that much better. Nash, Kreider, Zucc, Hagelin, Pouliot are not all what I would consider on their own legit top 6 players, Nash is, Kreider, Zucc I think are, but I am not so sure the other are. However when matched with those centers in whatever combination works, they Rangers could have three real scoring lines full of players who can produce as top 6 players on any given night. They'd need a wing prospects to come up and hang with them, with Fast, Kristo if not Miller, maybe on the verge, imaging how much easier their transition is if they have a real legit NHL center to play with when they come up?

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote