View Single Post
Old
01-31-2014, 03:32 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Adjusted points underrate 1st line players from the 1980s and thereabouts by a good deal, since they are based off league average scoring, and not the scoring of 1st line players.

A percentile method like Vs2 or VsX is a far superior method for comparing the offense of players of this calibre.
I know, but I don't have access to VsX numbers offhand and they tend to exclude Mario anyway

I think everyone would agree that Mario's peak offensive ability was higher than Jagr's. If someone wants to argue against that, well... they're just wrong.

My only point is that for someone who thinks in terms of overall long-term career value (ie, Lidstrom over Orr) it's not insane for them to put Jagr at Mario's level. Despite having a lower peak, he was reliable for a full season, played almost 50% longer and was still an all-time great offensively. At some point, the peak value starts to balance out with durability and reliability. I can see that argument, even though I personally take Mario and Orr in personal rankings.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote