Old
01-31-2014, 06:41 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Massive difference.
I sorta kinda agree with this, Orr out there quarterbacking the attack if not leading it, ragging the puck, giving his team mates the time & space to get their acts together. Swallow their lungs so to speak. Put em back where they belonged. Id hazard to guess he'd have been a wonder to the Soviets at his peak and they'd have likely have fallen into a far more defensive shell of a game. I have my doubts though that it'd have been completely lopsided Rhiess. But for sure Orr's presence & his play wouldve dramatically altered how Sinden was Coaching, who he was throwing out there, taking him 4 games to figure out how to stop the Soviets by playing it high in the neutral zone, a little of the old Kitty Bar the Door working a treat. Yet still they snuck through.

Orr had actually faced the Soviets before. December 14th, 1965 to be precise. The Toronto Marlies supplemented by All Stars from the OHA including Serge Savard, Jean Pronovost and Don Marcotte played an Exhibition Game against them, losing 4-3 after blowing a 3-1 lead heading into the 3rd. The Marlies roster included Brad Park, Jim McKenny, Brian Glennie, Mike Pelyk, Barry Watson & Al Smith in goal, along with Punch Imlach's son Brent and the younger brother of Dave Keon, Jim, a Defenseman (who went on to play Senior mostly after Junior). For fans of the Blue & White and in a "what if, if only the Leafs had signed Orr, right in their backyard & they pass on him as being too small, too frail, wont amount to much" heres a link to a brief blurb on Orr & his comments on the 72 Summit & Intl Play, picture of him in a Marlie uniform....

http://www.hhof.com/htmlSpotlight/sp...ep197902.shtml

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote