Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc
Hagelin-Richards-Dorsett
Miller-XXX-XXX

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Moore-Stralman

Hank
Cam

NY is in a position where they need to go for it during Hanks prime. I don't think the list of UFA players available are going to help NY unless its Girardi and NY keeps him locked up.

The club has been a very nice run so I see little reason to change much. Thus tweaking the role players is probably where NY will focus IMHO.

Don't touch the "top" line

Brad Richards situation is a tough call. On pace for 60 points, financially I can easily see cutting him but he has played relatively well with Callahan. I doubt they keep both. Regarding an outside center UFA, BR (despite his cost) is already familiar with the system, and is about as good as any other UFA they could bring in so I suppose it wouldn't be surprising to him return again next season.

2nd line
Brassard should be kept if his demands keep him in the 3 megabuck range. Its probably not possible if he demands a raise however so I guess he could be moved for another asset but I would prefer they keep him. Zucc has seen the light and I would like to see him return next season. NY gives him Callahan's ice time. Pouliot fits well on that line so it would be relatively easy to lock him up on another 1 or 2 year deal. They collectively have synergy as a line so I see little sense in breaking up a good thing.

3rd line
To me Hagelin is a guy I want to see excel at the PK, stretch the D and win his share of battles in the corner. Speed never slumps but I am unsure if his future is in NY with the Rangers. Signed for next season I'd like to see him play for another contract. Dorsett also slots nicely on the 3rd line and can bookend nicely with Haggy. Similar situation with him too.

3rd line center
Unless I see a better option than perhaps Richards gets another kick at the can. He has been effective on the powerplay so I think he warrants another shot at it rather than buying him out and spending more to bring someone else in.

4th line
If Boyle returns for about the same money I can see keeping him, same with Dom Moore as they are nifty on the PK, good on draws and backcheck nicely. However if they are offered more elsewhere I say thanks but no thanks.

Unlike Torts, AV plays his 4th line so I think NY can look to the Pack to backfill the roster here. Maybe Carcillo returns as I like what he brings to the team.

Guys like Fasth, Miller, Kristo, Lindberg all deserve a shot. Miller is on record saying he prefers not to play at Center so I penciled him in on LW.

Defense
Is pretty well set. I believe Klein pushes Stralman to the 3rd pairing this has to do with his better overall experience, ability to shutdown top lines over the years and his 20 minutes a night without injury since he came into the league.

I agree with the sentiment that Stralman is a quality defenseman and should be resigned. Perhaps he takes the 2nd pairing from Klein, who can say but its good for the team to have the competition for the spot. Either way NY is much better with both Klein and Stralman manning the right side after Girardi.

The blueline looks very strong and is great part of being a rangers fan for the last couple of years
Good analysis but you can remove Richards name. I would keep him if his contract ran another 2 years or so but we have like 6 more years and if he retires I believe we get hit with some stupid cap hit calc.

Lindberg Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote