Thread: Brad's Buy-out
View Single Post
Old
02-02-2014, 08:25 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The problem with Richards is the last 3 years of his deal. His salary in those years is 1 mil. If you think he's going to stick around for 3 years, and be an effective player, for 1 mil per year, I've got a bridge I want to sell you. When he retires early, we will be hit with a large cap penalty (in excess of 5 mil per year for 3 years).

The only way to avoid that is to give him a compliance buyout this summer. Like I said last summer, it isn't a hockey decision. It's a business decision.
This is the reason he has to go. When signed in the previous agreement--this was a retirement contract. It's all front loaded. The new agreement does not allow these kind of contracts. It's as if Richards already understood that he'd be retiring three years before his contract ended because there's little in it for him in those final 3 years. Now there's a cap hit for the Rangers that wasn't there before for years not played and it's significant.

.and Richards is no longer a point per game player. Not even close. Last year his season was a debacle--there's no telling what his future seasons are going to be but he's hardly even been at his best with us the same player that he was in Dallas or Tampa Bay. He's got to go--even if it means taking a step back for a year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote