Thread: Brad's Buy-out
View Single Post
Old
02-02-2014, 12:15 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
As GAGline points out, the issue is the contract, not the player. You'd be getting much the same player, perhaps at a marginally higher cap hit, but without the risk of a massive cap recapture penalty. That was my point.

Honestly, my preference is that the Rangers don't keep Richards or sign Stasty, and instead figure out a way to get a solid 1C candidate in a trade for Cally (or any other deal), and then go into next year with:

Stepan
Brassard
Miller/Lindberg
Boyle/Moore/Lindberg/UFA

And then bring the solid 1C candidate up the following year.

I think that squad would actually do better than most people think next year (despite his points, I don't think Richards has been a net positive on this team) and would then be positioned to be a perpetually contender starting the year after.
I'm not all that jazzed about Stastny either. Richards being bought out means hanging onto Brassard IMO and then maybe look for another option. Don't really want to be committing $7.5 mil per annum for 7 years to Stastny.

The main problem with Richards is the contract but even though he's playing better this year than last he's still not delivering the offense we thought we were going to get--so it's a little bit of both. Truly if he plans on playing past 2016-17--and he's still an offensive threat of any kind he's not going to like his $1 mil (actual remuneration) a year at that point any more than the Rangers are going to like his $6.667 mil cap hit. This summer's our last chance to get rid of this problem--it would be colossally stupid not to take it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote