View Single Post
Old
02-03-2014, 02:08 AM
VMBM
Amate misericordiam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Then there is 1979 and the Challenge Cup. If Orr is still around all healthy, then he's still in his prime and team NHL probably wins.
Now here I have to react a bit. What if the Soviets had both Maltsev and young Fetisov in the lineup (both injured in '79)? Or what if Tretiak had played on his normal level (4 goals against on 16 shots [in game 2] wasn't his normal level) - no need for Myshkin for game 3. Team NHL barely got a decent scoring chance in the final game, while the Soviets scored 6 goals + hit the crossbar at least once. And in game 2, the only thing 'close' was the final score - a fact admitted by Bowman, Clarke and the commentators (Bobby Orr among them).

Even with Orr on the team, the 1976 Team Canada lost a game vs. Czechoslovakia and won another in OT. I realize that it wasn't exactly 'healthy Orr' in 1976, but Czechoslovakia - while a very good team - wasn't exactly the 1979 USSR either. And NHL All-Stars in 1979 had even much less preparation time than the '76 Team Canada.

Even with Orr (and Esposito & fine 'supporting cast') on the team, the Boston Bruins managed only 2 Stanley Cups - I say 'only', because, well, it's often been wondered, why they didn't win more - e.g. on HFBoards.

But I'm glad you didn't try to change the result of the 1981 CC final

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote