View Single Post
Old
01-31-2004, 07:59 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
Olaf Kolzig on his Status

There has been some confusion about Kolzig's status this year, whether he has a no-trade clause status, where he wants to play, and why, etc. Given the claims that are often put out there, I thought this was interesting. Darren Pang asked him directly recently, and this is what Kolzig told him:

"Prior to our ESPN2 game in Washington, Capitals goalie Olaf Kolzig told me that he hasn't asked GM George McPhee to be traded, but if there is going to be a youth movement or a cleaning of the house, then he would want to be moved for a chance to win the Cup. Imagine how much better he would be playing if he had a world-class defense in front of him? McPhee told me that Kolzig is one of the best people he's met in sports, ever."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ren&id=1720150

So it looks like Kolzig would not be averse to a trade to a Cup contender if the Caps decide for a full-blown rebuild. Given a lot of fan confusion about his desires in the context of his son's medical condition and treatment in DC, this is the first I've seen where he has been this candid. My apologies in advance if this has been posted elsewhere on HF boards.