Thread: Luke Schenn
View Single Post
02-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Bryzgalov's Blueline
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Pretty confident Chris and I wanted a 2nd or Kadri added. Powerforwards are slower growing fruit.
Yeah, I was pushing hard the idea that JVR for LSchenn straight up was a terrible idea. Leafs fans called me a homer and laughed when the deal actually happened because I was "wrong."

Now those same Leafs fans are like, "Haha, we got a steal."

Honest answer: Never trust a Leafs' fan talent or value evaluation.

I think I actually mentioned at the time, that I didn't want to move JVR for LSchenn unless they added more than even just the 2nd that most Philly fans seemed fine with.

In fact, I recall offering Laughton + 2nd for LSchenn as a more fair offer.

I do think, in the long run, we'll be okay with Schenn. He's exactly the partner that Gustafsson needs. Gus/Schenn 2nd pair is solid. Gostisbehere or Hagg with Grossmann on the bottom pairing should be fine; possibly better if Morin makes the jump quickly.

Streit with Coburn on the top pairing is not ideal, but if we could improve upon Streit, we should take that opportunity.

Our defense isn't that bad. Our goaltending is solid. Our offense is world class when Giroux is Giroux.

We're still an upper echelon NHL team even with LSchenn instead of JVR. We're just not the big boy anymore. We need for our younger guys to develop a little more and get a real #1. That is when we become the big man on campus again.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote