View Single Post
Old
02-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think the defense is better this year.

Rozsival has been better this year than last year.

Tyutin has been better this year than last year.

Ward has been bette the Kaspar was last year.

Malik has been worse than he was last year.

Rachunek has been about the same as Strudwick.

Pock and Girardi have been better than Poti.

Regardless, you mentioned that it's not fair to say that Lundqvist has been inconsistent. He, himself, his performance, has not been as good night in and night out as it was last season.
I don't think looking at player for player will give any whole picture for how good the defense was (and I don't know how much I agree with it). I still think we have been awful this year in clearing the crease for example, while we held a better standard last season. They also were very good in shutting down the opposition in the 1st period, which very often got Lundqvist "into the zone" every game last season.

Looking at the extremely successful season Lundqvist had last season, I think it's unfair to compare this season with the last one and call it something like a "sophomore" season. If Lundqvist plays 10 season of NHL hockey for example, you are bound to have varieties, which will very much depend on the team in front of him. The team effort has been worse this season, it's as simple as that.

Is this season worse for Lundqvist than last season? Yes. Is it a slump? No. His numbers won't improve next year if the team doesn't improve its defense. He had softies last year as well and a hefty amount of pinball goals, but people seem to forget them since we were winning.

Last edited by Chimp: 02-05-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote