View Single Post
Old
02-04-2014, 06:42 AM
VMBM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Even with Orr on the team, the 1976 Team Canada lost a game vs. Czechoslovakia and won another in OT. The game they lost was a game that Canada completely dominated. Dzurilla of the Czech team stole that one. The other was a 6-0 slaughter.
We must have seen a different game. The one I've seen is a fairly slow-paced & defensive-minded one with both teams having only a few excellent scoring chances. The shots were 29-23 for Team Canada, so even the statistics don't tell about Canada's 'complete domination'. It was not even near the same as in the 1975-76 New Year's Game, for example. Dzurilla didn't steal anything; he just played a very good & steady game, just like Rogie Vachon did in the other end: i.e. you apparently missed e.g. Jiri Novak's and Vladimir Martinec's breakaways (not a 'clean' one in Martinec's case), and Jiri Holik's great wrister from the slot - all very close calls.

Canadian teams have experienced a few slaughters too. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
The Soviets surprised Canada by being a lot better than anybody thought. Had Canada taken it more seriously and been in better physical and game shape with a full team it would have been a different story.
Yeah, it was always a TOTALLY different story, when Canada and USSR met in subsequent years?

I mean, did the Soviets get so much better post 1972 that when Canada (supposedly) had better teams & were better prepared & had home advantage all the time (remember CANADA Cups?), it was still as close as you can get between the two teams?
IMO the Soviets did improve in a few areas (defensive play, physicality, 'offensive versatility') after 1972, but did Canada at the same time get worse - or were they always unprepared/in lousy shape, or how do you explain e.g. 1981 CC and 1987 CC?

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote